On 12/15/2016 3:11 AM, Andrey Volkov wrote:
Hi,

I totally agree with Matt than `os-quota-class-sets` is inconsistent.
It has that hardcoded default class can't be changed.
API call is documented neither Nova nor Cinder (has the same API for
quotas).

With defaults in the configuration I have some concerns:
- As it was mentioned before, possibly we need to update configs in
several places.

We're moving quotas to the API and we're going to stop doing the reservation/commit/rollback race dance between API and compute nodes per this spec:

https://specs.openstack.org/openstack/nova-specs/specs/ocata/approved/cells-count-resources-to-check-quota-in-api.html

So that would mean you really only need the default quota configuration on the API node, so I don't think this is as much of a problem after that change.

- To make changes be applied we need to restart service, possibly SIGHUP
can help
  but I'm not sure.

I'd think we could make these mutable config options so we could pickup the changes without restarting the service.

Alternatives I see are:
- Update `os-quota-sets` and give it possibility to work with defaults.
- Use external centralized quota service on which the work's doing actively.
  Please see [1] spec for limits in keystone and doc [2] having information
  how it can be applied in Nova and Cinder.

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/363765/
[2]
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1AqmmRvd_e-4Hw2oLbnBf5jBtjLgMj-kqAaQfofp_NYI/edit#

Matt Riedemann