I agree with that approach. We are hitting several issues with httpd_mod that should be fixed using a defined type. But I do believe that the way is to consume modules that are trusted by the community, and don't put efforts on maintaining and evolving our own modules if there are good alternatives. This will need a patch to puppetlabs-apache or a wrapper, and a proper migration plan, so it needs an spec.

Best
Yolanda