On 2014-12-08 11:01 PM, Kris G. Lindgren wrote:

  I don’t think its too much to ask for each project to include a script
that will build a venv that includes tox and the other relevant deps to
build the sample configuration.

This is already the case. Back then, I did the work of documenting how you could generate the sample config files for each projects (I cared about):
http://blog.mgagne.ca/generating-sample-config-files-in-openstack/

You can see that the process isn't streamlined. Each project has its own particularities. Some projects don't use the (un)official standard "tox -egenconfig" command, I patched some projects to make it less a pain.

And my thoughts about sample config files:
http://blog.mgagne.ca/where-are-the-sample-config-files/

I wrote it after Cinder proposed removing its sample config file. They abandoned the patch at that time but now sample config file is gone.

It's not an easy problem because core libraries used by OpenStack projects also use oslo.config and configs required by those libraries are part of the main configurations required for a project to even work. ([database]/connection for instance) You just can't ignore those configs when generating the sample config file.

(sorry for self-promotion, I didn't want to rewrite my thoughts on this list)

--
Mathieu