From: "Kris G. Lindgren" <klindg...@godaddy.com<mailto:klindg...@godaddy.com>>
Date: Monday, December 8, 2014 at 7:46 PM
To:
"openstack-operators@lists.openstack.org<mailto:openstack-operators@lists.openstack.org>"

<openstack-operators@lists.openstack.org<mailto:openstack-operators@lists.openstack.org>>
Subject: [Openstack-operators] Packaging sample config versions

Hello all,

Since somewhere around icehouse projects have started to stop shipping sample
configuration files with their projects and instead create a
README-sample.conf.txt that usually contains something like:
To generate the sample nova.conf file, run the following
command from the top level of the nova directory:

tox –egenconfig

The problem that I am running into is that tox –egenconfig now requires a newer
version of tox than what is available for the build distro:
[root@localhost ceilometer-2014.2.1]# tox -egenconfig
ERROR: tox version is 1.4.2, required is at least 1.6

I know I can do a pip install blah and blindly hope that I get everything
installed locally on my build system and that I don’t install something that
conflicts with the system… but that seems like a less than desirable solution.
So how are people who are doing packaging handling this?  Are you now building
a venv per package for tox just to generate a sample configuration?  Shouldn't
this be part of the python build/install steps per project?

It seems redhat/rdo is simply including a sample configuration that they
generated somehow.

What are you other packagers doing?

Also, is it just me or does this seem wrong?  Most of the commits that made
this change seem to indicate it was because the sample config file was separate
from the project and that it was breaking gate when it wasn't kept up to date.
Shouldn't this be something that each project generates?  This seemed to work
for 8 previous releases – now its too difficult?  I don’t get the motivations
behind this change.

Kris Lindgren
Senior Linux Systems Engineer
GoDaddy, LLC.

This E-mail and any of its attachments may contain Time Warner Cable
proprietary information, which is privileged, confidential, or subject to
copyright belonging to Time Warner Cable. This E-mail is intended solely for
the intended recipient of this E-mail, you are hereby notified that any
dissemination, distribution, copying, or action taken in relation to the
contents of and attachments to this E-mail is strictly prohibited and may be
unlawful. If you have received this E-mail in error, please notify the sender
immediately and permanently delete the original and any copy of this E-mail and
any printout.