 From: Chuck Thier <cth...@gmail.com>
To: Mark Brown <ntdeveloper2...@yahoo.com>
Cc: Openstack <openstack@lists.launchpad.net>
Sent: Wednesday, May 22, 2013 7:26 AM
Subject: Re: [Openstack] Swift questions

Hey Mark,
On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 8:59 AM, Mark Brown <ntdeveloper2...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Thank you for the responses Chuck.

>As part of a rebalance, the replicator, I would assume, copies the object from
>the old partition to the new partition, and then deletes it from the old
>partition. Is that a fair assumption?

That is correct, the replicators will replicate the data in the partition at
the new location.  The server that has the old data will delete it once it is
certain that data is available in all replicas.

Also, is there anything that explains in more detail how the handoff node is
picked? What if the ring changes and the data still lives on the handoff node?

I don't think there is currently any documentation that describes how handoff
nodes are picked.  Handoff nodes can be used for a variety of reasons,
including when servers are down, or not responding.  The server that has
handoff partitions is always responsible for getting the data to the correct
location.

There is some more detailed information on replication at:

http://docs.openstack.org/developer/swift/overview_replication.html

(if you haven't read it yet)

--
Chuck