On 13/11/13 04:08, Andrew Plunk wrote:
Alright.

The problem:
----------------
If a program generates a password, and displays it on a screen over and over
again, it is more susceptible to being compromised.

OK, this is something we can work with, thanks :)

Possible solutions:
----------------
1).Provide a way to limit the availability of stack outputs returned from heat.

This is IMHO a bad idea. Amongst other things it will cause chaos with nested stacks in combination with the multi-region feature coming up. It's not even a particularly good solution to the problem - what if the time you needed it was the second, not the first? (Maybe you accidentally clicked away, or maybe a connection dropped the first time.) What if you really need the password again later? What if the first time you viewed it (when it really does show the password) you didn't click away but just left it sitting around visible?

2).Provide a way to express metadata about stack outputs returned from heat.

This could involve something like a "Sensitive: true" field in the Output schema. Heat would ignore it but pass it on to clients so that something like the dashboard could e.g. require an extra click to show it, and hide it again after a timeout.

Alternatively, as lifeless points out, you could pass the password in using a hidden input. That's the currently supported way, and I suspect the better one in most cases.

cheers,
Zane.

From: Clint Byrum [cl...@fewbar.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 12, 2013 8:46 PM
To: openstack
Subject: Re: [Openstack] [Heat] Locked Outputs

Excerpts from Andrew Plunk's message of 2013-11-12 17:24:25 -0800:
Thanks for reiterating that Zane. The problem I have is I want to display
generated passwords once, and only once in a ui. I want the ability to flag or
conditionally display outputs based on conditions.

A problem is stated with a cause and an effect "Users may lose control of
the UI after the first time outputs are displayed, leading to credential
compromise".

Another example: "English encourages use of overloaded terms which
can be ambiguous, requiring multiple iterations to communicate ideas
effectively."

Solution: "I want to define terms more clearly before using them in
sentences."

"I want to ..." is a _solution_.

Maybe we can try one more time?