On Nov 13, 2013, at 9:18 AM, Zane Bitter <zbit...@redhat.com>
 wrote:

> On 13/11/13 04:08, Andrew Plunk wrote:
>> Alright.
>>
>> The problem:
>> ----------------
>> If a program generates a password, and displays it on a screen over and over
>> again, it is more susceptible to being compromised.
>
> OK, this is something we can work with, thanks :)
>
>> Possible solutions:
>> ----------------
>> 1).Provide a way to limit the availability of stack outputs returned from
>> heat.
>
> This is IMHO a bad idea. Amongst other things it will cause chaos with nested
> stacks in combination with the multi-region feature coming up. It's not even
> a particularly good solution to the problem - what if the time you needed it
> was the second, not the first? (Maybe you accidentally clicked away, or maybe
> a connection dropped the first time.) What if you really need the password
> again later? What if the first time you viewed it (when it really does show
> the password) you didn't click away but just left it sitting around visible?
>
>> 2).Provide a way to express metadata about stack outputs returned from heat.
>
> This could involve something like a "Sensitive: true" field in the Output
> schema. Heat would ignore it but pass it on to clients so that something like
> the dashboard could e.g. require an extra click to show it, and hide it again
> after a timeout.
>
> Alternatively, as lifeless points out, you could pass the password in using a
> hidden input. That's the currently supported way, and I suspect the better
> one in most cases.

I mostly agree with this suggestion. For symmetry with parameters, we could
simply add a key to outputs "hidden: true". For things like stack-list, the
default would be to display a masked value like we do for parameters. I think
we should then add the ability to retrieve the unmasked values for parameters
and outputs.