On 11/14/2013 08:58 AM, m...@openstack.org wrote:
> Yes.
>
> Also, there are two trademark concepts being mixed here.
>
> 1) *Can* the projects themselves use the word "OpenStack" such as
> "OpenStack Orchestration"? Answer: yes absolutely. This is already a
> done deal and we are already doing it in practice. And its covered
> under the bylaws once they are included in the integrated release by
> TC vote. There is no need for further action.
>
> 2) *Must* a commercial product or service branded "OpenStack" use
> heat or ceilometer or project X from the integrated release?  This is
> the work underway.
>
> If the TC resolution was concerning #1 then I don't believe it was
> necessary. If #2, there is work being done on that but its definitely
> worth discussing in various forums.

The TC resolution is absolutely concerning #1. Basically, the bylaws
section has a mention of the secretary maintaining a list of projects -
so I think what we're doing is formally informing the board so that the
secretary can update the list.

> One thing to note is that #1 is in a broader non commercial context
> such as project teams communicating about their work, and #2 is about
> commercial branding of products and services which fall under
> trademark licenses signed by corporations branding their products
> "OpenStack".  They are not the same thing but are often conflated
> accidentally. That said, if they are too divergent in practice it is
> likely to be confusing for the market as a whole.
>
> I have plenty of opinions on where we should be headed on all of
> these topics but will save those for another post. This one is aimed
> at sharing some relevant facts.

Thanks Mark! I believe you said what I was trying to communicate in a
much clearer and less confrontational manner. Can you just talk for me?