On 07/23/2017 07:51 PM, Manuel Sopena Ballesteros wrote:
Dear Openstack community,

We are a medical research institute and we have been running HPC for many years, we started playing with Openstack a few months ago and we like it’s flexibility to deploy multiple environments. However we are quite concern about the resource utilization, what I mean is that, in HPC the resources are released for the rest of the community once job has finished, however a VM keeps the resources for the owner of the vm until the instance is killed.

I would like to ask, how do you organize your resources used by Openstack to maximize utilization across the organization?

Thank you very much

Hi Manuel,

You may wish to check out the Blazar project or get in touch with their contributor team:

https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Blazar

Blazar adds a reservable dimension to Nova's compute service and there is a notion of something that "cleans up" VMs after their reservation is expired. It may fit your needs here.

Best,
-jay