On Friday 27 November 2015, 08:02:19 wrote Adrian Schröter:
> On Friday 27 November 2015, 07:58:47 wrote Adrian Schröter:
> > On Thursday 26 November 2015, 22:57:57 wrote Dirk Müller:
> > > Hi Adrian,

> > > Not all ARMv7 workers have support hardware available for a random
> > > number generator. Most do, so disabling it globally is not a good
> > > idea.
> > >
> > > I'm not sure what the problem was, but now I had no chance to debug -
> > > isn't this already solved by the autodetection that Andreas submitted?
> >
> > The problem is that we can't detect from outside if the kernel which is
> > will complain about the extra parameter or not. And complain means here
> > stopping
> > the build.
> >
> > The commits from the mentioned pull request are merged and active,
> > but they only affect the qemu-kvm behaviour, not the kernel behaviour.
> >
> > All what we we can do is checking on the host if the hardware is able
> > to provide hardware rng and then just guessing if the guest kernel
> > will support it IMHO.
> >
> > Some something like
> >
> >  dd if=/dev/hwrng of=/dev/null bs=1 count=1 || kvm_rng_device=
> >
> > this which is disabling rng options when no device is there in the
> > host. Do you know a better way to check for hwrng which avoids
> > such a potential hanging read? I do not have any arm 32bit with hwrng
> > device around, it seems.
>
> okay, the second commit tries to do this already ... checking why it breaks
> (sorry, first mail before coffee)

[   14s] linux64 /usr/bin/qemu-system-arm -nodefaults -no-reboot -nographic
-vga none -enable-kvm -M virt -cpu host -object
rng-random,filename=/dev/random,id=rng0 -device virtio-rng-pci,rng=rng0
-mem-prealloc -mem-path /dev/hugepages -net none -kernel /boot/zImage.guest
-initrd /boot/initrd -append root=/dev/disk/by-id/virtio-0 rootfstype=ext4
rootflags=noatime panic=1 quiet no-kvmclock nmi_watchdog=0 rw
rd.driver.pre=binfmt_misc elevator=noop console=ttyAMA0 init=/.build/build -m
1020 -drive
file=/var/cache/obs/worker/root_1/root,format=raw,if=none,id=disk,serial=0,cache=unsafe
 -device virtio-blk-device,drive=disk -drive
file=/var/cache/obs/worker/root_1.swap,format=raw,if=none,id=swap,serial=1,cache=unsafe
 -device virtio-blk-device,drive=swap -serial stdio -smp 1
[   14s] qemu-system-arm: -device virtio-rng-pci,rng=rng0: No 'PCI' bus found
for device 'virtio-rng-pci'

So, virtio rng device seems not to work with non-hardware rng generator.

--

Adrian Schroeter
email: adr...@suse.de

(AG Nürnberg)