On 02/17/2016 03:47 PM, Andreas Färber wrote:
Hi Guillaume,

Am 17.02.2016 um 11:00 schrieb Guillaume Gardet:
On boot, with latest build (kernel 4.4.0-3-default) I get the following
error: "Initramfs unpacking failed: write error".
Full kernel log (for beaglebone black):
Starting kernel ...

[    0.000530] WARNING: Your 'console=ttyO0' has been replaced by 'ttyS0'
[    0.000538] This ensures that you still see kernel messages. Please
[    0.000545] update your kernel commandline.
[    5.154972] Initramfs unpacking failed: write error
[...]
Note that there is no early message (except warning on console, for
which I will send a JeOS SR).

Any idea what is wrong?
For early messages try adding "earlycon" to the command line.

When you need only one console, the most future-proof would be to drop
console= if /chosen stdout-path points to something sane in the device
tree - Alex reported Kiwi possibly depending on console= parsing, so
that may need patches and testing.

Any kernel config update related to initramfs?
Not that I'm aware of, no.

Alex already pointed to tmpfs vs. ramfs as the most likely cause here;

It's not the cause, it's a workaround. We used to use tmpfs before as well, but then our initrd grew so much that it didn't fit anymore and so now the only way to get it extracted is to use ramfs.

The real cause is that the kiwi initrd grew too big.

Alex