Am 01.03.19 um 19:07 schrieb Stefan Brüns:
> On Freitag, 1. März 2019 15:00:13 CET Stefan Seyfried wrote:
>> Am 01.03.19 um 14:53 schrieb Torsten Duwe:
>>> For the media centre you might want to look at libreELEC, for a
>>> comparison,
>>> just to see whether that runs stable. OTOH it's only 32-bits wide :-P
>>> https://libreelec.tv/downloads_new/raspberry-pi-3-3/
>>
>> Or just plain raspbian, does multimedia very well out of the box.
>
>> BTW: what is the benefit of a 64bit system on a 1GB RAM machine?
>> Apart from breaking most of the multimedia stuff and being dog slow compared
>> to raspbian?
>
> You should know better. 32bit limits the address space to 4 GB. 1 is
> exclusive
> to the kernel, leaves 3 to userland. Subtract code and data, and mmapping
> anything larger than 2 GB fails.

Well, yes. Unfortunately I cannot really imagine where this is going to
be a real problem on a raspberry pi.

> Also, building software on 32 bit archs gets quite hard for more and more
> packages, as the linker runs out of memory. So you end up with less packages.

This machine has 1GB of RAM, so it will run out of memory anyway.

BTW: I cannot complain about raspbians package selection, everything I
needed (except vdr-plugin-rpihddevice, which I compiled easily, and
which is impossible to build on openSUSE) was just available in the
standard repos.

> ASLR on 32bit is mostly ineffective, due to the limited address space.
>
> Which multimedia stuff breaks due to 32bit? What exactly is slow? Or are you
> just ranting, like you do all the time?

All the OMX and mmal is disabled on ARM64

https://github.com/raspberrypi/userland/blob/master/CMakeLists.txt#L11

Try to compile omxplayer, ffmpeg with omx encoder and mmal decoder and
vdr-plugin-rpihddevice for example.

Slow is "if I just want to use the raspberry pi as a console server with
screen and usbserial headless via ssh, then with openSUSE Leap or
Tumbleweed, everything lags and feels slow" (and the machine is not
really doing anything).

Do the exact same thing with raspbian and it is snappy, even if it's
live transcoding full-hd video in the background or running as a
lazycast receiver (full-HD video decoding via VLC in that case).

> TW runs fine on x86_64 and on several different ARM SoCs. I have some Pine64
> here, RPIs, an RK3399 STB. Raspbian would be able to run on one of these ...

Yes, that's why I wanted to use openSUSE on the raspis, too, just one
system on all boxes. But it was just not usable.
--
Stefan Seyfried