Matthias Brugger wrote:

> On 12/03/2019 09:04, Guillaume Gardet wrote:
>> Hi Per,

I can't really comment - of the couple of projects I looked at (related
to ws2812), this looked the most complete/useful.

>>> I built the vcio module, seems to work fine.  Then I built the
>>> kernel without STRICT_DEVMEM and I can now control a string of
>>> WS2812 LEDs.
>>
>> Thanks for your feedback!
>> The vcio module can probably be upstreamed, or at least packaged in
>> OBS, I guess.
>>

> I don't think this is the right approach for upstream. If we want to
> control these leds, then we should write a kernel driver which uses
> the mbox and not implement detection etc in user-space.
> If you want to use a LED matrix, then I think this is a good candidate
> for a tinydrm driver in the kernel.

again, I can't really comment on what is right or good - so just my
observations:

getting the vcio module to work was no big deal, just required a bit of
research - I think even a relative newbie would manage to get it to
work.

About STRICT_DEVMEM - had I been able to disable with a kernel argument,
that would have been really nice.  In 2008, Bernhard Walle @ suse also
proposed a sysctl "dev.mem.restricted", but I guess that didn't go
through.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (5.0°C)
member, openSUSE Heroes.