On Mon, Feb 24, Stefan Seyfried wrote:

> Am 24.02.20 um 12:55 schrieb Matthias G. Eckermann:
>
> > well. I would have never called this "40GiB" a "rule", but more
> > a "recommendation" for a btrfs root filesystem *with* snapshots
> > enabled, and this recommendation has a *lot* of safety buffer
> > included.
>
> No, it has not. It is the total recipe for disaster and downtime.
> Been there, fixed that. On SLES though, not on openSUSE.

My machine is running since SLES12 SP2 with all updates to
SLES12 SP3, SLES15 GA, SLES15 SP1 and never made any problems
with that size.

> > Mind that this heavily depends on the
> > - distribution
> > and
> > - your personal way of applying updates.
> >
> > To add some details:
> >
> > * For a Tumbleweed with add-hoc updates enabled, I would
> >   rate 40 GiB the lower limit, indeed, better more, as
> >   you have a lot of change, thus lots of snapshots and
> >   lots of metadata.
> >
> > * For a Leap or SUSE Linux Enterprise with, let's say,
> >   planned weekly updates, you can easily work with a
>
> nobody does this.

seife == nobody?

Because our customers I spoke with last week told me something
different, so nobody could not "nobody in this world".

> The machine is installed, runs for a year or so, and then security comes
> around and urges for maintenance.
> The "update" of course contains a new service pack.
>
> Boom. No space left on device.

Of course, if you never update your machine and then apply a SP once in a year,
the space requirements are much higher.
But luckily, nobody is doing that ;)

> I have never seen a SD card die on my because of "too many writes", the wear
> leveling stuff seems to work good enough. I
> only use Sandisk (and nowadays Sandisk Extreme or Pro), though. I have only
> have them break mechanically (they do stick
> out of the board and thus can get broken mechanically) or have them killed by
> overvoltage spikes etc.

We have four of this expensive cards broken from our Raspberry Pi 3 cluster ...

  Thorsten

--
Thorsten Kukuk, Distinguished Engineer, Senior Architect SLES & MicroOS
Managing Director: Felix Imendoerffer (HRB 36809, AG Nürnberg)