Hi, Thomas,

On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 2:25 PM, Thomas Schraitle <t...@suse.de> wrote:
>> add "WenQuanYi Micro Hei" and "WenQuanYi Micro Hei Mono" to relevant
>> tags.
>
> Do we have a package for them?

Yes, package name "wqy-microhei-fonts` in OSS, developed at M17N:fonts

> If I'm not mistaken, this is the "old approach" to define and use fonts
> in FOP. I had the impression that you don't have to create metrics
> files anymore. FOP searches all fonts for you.
>
> Could you try to do the same, but without any metrics?

Oh yes, I commented fop.xconf and they still work well.

> I think, we can consider it as a bug. :)
> This originates from XEP; it allows using alias names and define
> the aliases in the XEP configuration file. The advantage of this is,
> that you don't have to transform your XML file again and again just to
> test another Chinese font. With an alias name, you can just change the
> definition.
>
> Unfortunately, this works only for XEP, not FOP. I guess, it was a copy
> and paste error.

I see, then I'll SR a patch to suse-xsl-stylesheets. As they're not on
git, I can just open a ticket on sf.

> These are commercial fonts. As I'm not familiar with Chinese and its
> typography, could you recommend a good Chinese font? Preferably open
> source. :))

I recommend wqy-*-fonts.

wqy(文泉驿) is the main open source project for Chinese fonts:

http://wenq.org/wqy2/index.cgi?Home

led by Chinese students in MIT. They provided an easy to use web
interface to create fonts. Every user can contribute, thus their fonts
covered a lot more glyphs than any commerical fonts. BTW, the Chinese
part of Google Droid fonts are based on this project.

Actually modern linux (sles needs to be stable, so it's a little
"old") all use their fonts as default.

And using wqy can avoid the problem that you have to install
"FZSongTi", then openSUSE automatcially set it as your ugly display
font. FZ fonts are used for printing, they didn't display well on
LC/EDs.

> Could you send us your fixes? Just to let you know, tomorrow is a
> public holiday in Germany and I'm not here for the next 3 weeks.
> Probably one of my collegues will take and submit your patches.

Sure. I'll fix suse-xsl-stylesheets and susedoc.

Holiday is the 1st priority, so just enjoy life. fixes can wait.

Greeting

Marguerite