On 16 Mar 2006 at 22:29, Chad Groneman wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It's probably been this way for a long time, but I noticed with beta8 that
> firefox defaults to automatically save to the desktop rather than the home
> folder or some other location.  It seems to me that this is a quick way to
> clutter the desktop, and for users who are unfamiliar with firefox, it might
> be difficult to find where to change that default behavior.
>
> Maybe it is this way on purpose because of the "usability studies" (have you
> seen any of them?  Where do they get those people?!), but it seems like
> there would be something better.

FYI: In 10.0 GNOMEs screen shot utility does the same. Maybe it was intended as
reminder to clean up your desktop after work ;-)

> One option would be to revert firefox back to where it would prompt where to
> save files by default.  Or, if we don't want that extra window, may I
> present another possibility:  My opinion is that if we want downloaded files
> to be easy to find, we should have a "Downloads" folder off the Desktop
> which would be the default location.  That way less technical users could
> find their downloaded files, and it wouldn't clutter the desktop for those
> of us who are so busy it's hard to find time to clean the desktop.

The idea is good. Actually I'm practicing that. I even have added a directory
~/Download/OLD where I move all older files. Once I'm tight on space I empty
the
OLD folder and the game starts from the beginning.

Regards,
Ulrich