On Thu, 2006-03-16 at 13:09 +0100, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
> David Wright <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > Just a word of warning regarding the new default partition sizes suggested
> > by
> > YaST. I have a 10GB root partition on my laptop and just went to install
> > IBM
> > Rational Software Architect. The install files take up around 2.5GB of
> > space
> > and the installed program itself takes another 2GB (I eliminated some of
> > the
> > options I didn't need)
>
> We could change the parameter for the calculation, currently we use 10
> GB as maximal size for root - but this is just one parameter to
> change...
>
> So, what do others think?
>
> Andreas

It's only because you're asking it, and i surely don't want to start an
unholy war on the subject, but i was in the impression that it was good
practice to keep root as small as possible (leaving some space to
breath)
/boot also as small as possible, RO, or not mounted at all
/var should be big enough for any data for spool/mail/log
/usr & /opt big enough for binaries (should not grow normally)
/tmp whatever one needs as playground
/home & /srv as much as possible

So why should the root partition be so big anyway?????

Hans

--
pgp-id: 926EBB12
pgp-fingerprint: BE97 1CBF FAC4 236C 4A73  F76E EDFC D032 926E BB12