On 8 May 2006 at 22:37, houghi wrote:

> On Mon, May 08, 2006 at 10:08:46PM +0200, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> > That needed line for 'makeSUSEdvd' is the default during the installation
> > and configuration phase of a system; but once in "production", those two
> > lines are normally removed - meaning that sudoers have to use their own
> > passwords and run only specified commands, not any random command they may
> > want. The consequence is that on a "production" machine, 'makeSUSEdvd' can
> > not run using sudo.
>
> Unfortunatly there is no real alternative, other then running it as root.

Running it as root is the purpose of "sudo", but not knowing the root password.

Consider a configuration skeletton (from HP-UX):

# User alias specification
User_Alias      MEDIA_OPERATOR = %dba, windl

# Cmnd alias specification
Cmnd_Alias      CHANGE_CD = /usr/sbin/mount /SD_CDROM,\
                        /usr/sbin/umount /SD_CDROM

MEDIA_OPERATOR  ALL=CHANGE_CD

> I like to run things as little as root as possible. On the other hand, you
> are the first, and so far only, person who complained about this.
>
> With several thousand downloads, I would expect some people complaining.
> So it seems almost nobody changes the default.

That's bad!

Regards,
Ulrich