> -If you select a package and click 'Install this', YaST must know is just
> have
> to install without showing the big window.

Many users are used to the windows or macos way where you find an
application,you download it and install it in some manner. Package
management makes many things easier but is perhaps currently difficult for
people to locate repositories containing programs they want, and add the
repositories and then install the application. I propose that the user
should not need to worry about these mechanics at all, and there is no
need for them to have to do so. The package manager could provide two
methods of installing software.

1: User can browse through "catalogues" of software, subscribe to projects
he/she wants.  It looks like this is well on the way to being implemented
aside from a user interface for browsing available catalogues such as
might be on software.opensuse.org.

2:User wants to install current version of $app, User visits $app's
homepage, clicks "install on SUSE Linux" link and the program is
automatically installed by the package management system. (after
appropriate confirmation,authentication from user obviously)

This second point seems relatively easy to implement, one has a file
containing a selection of packages, description and a list of repositories
where they can be found. The package management system can then interpret
this file and add the repositories if required and install the packages
with full dependency resolution. This method of installing packages would
eliminate the user's need to know how to add package repositories, or what
packages are on what repository. It would also enable users to easily
install multimedia support by clicking a link on the packman website
rather than having to follow instructions for adding a source and then
installing the appropriate packages.

Benjamin Weber