Op vrijdag 2 juni 2006 19:06, schreef houghi:
> > Yes, that's how it works. LVM scans the disk for existing volumes and
> > the YaST2 LVM frontend lists these similar to already existing
> > partitions. You can assign these to new mount points without formatting.
>
> One last question. So the only risk is that if one disk breaks, all your
> data is gone.

The LVM will most likely be on 1 disk (for home systems).  The the early days
disk were small and than LVM was used to obtain bigger file systems.
Nowadays disks are big enough and LVM is used for convenience to be able to
resize partition.  1 disadvantage by introducing LVM is another layer that
can break.  I use LVM as well, and when I have to do something with it, I
always have to look up the commands as I never remember these....

> > > If so, then by all means. Pitty it was not clear when it was decided to
> > > go to / and /home, Would have een great to do at the same time and
> > > would have stopped the part where people said to also have a seperate
> > > /opt, /srv, /var, /boot, /whatever.
> >
> > It really depends what purpose the system is used for. For a server,
> > this might make sense. For a desktop workstation, I think a separation
> > between the root file system and /home should be sufficient.
>
> Many people will have something like /music or /Pr0n that they share with
> otheres and thus not place it in /home
> To me it is not completely clear where in fhs you should place user data
> that you share with others. If Alice, Ben and Carl want to listen to music
> each of them has, where should you place that? `man hier` tells me that
> /usr should be read only. So you can't add music without root permission.
> /home is for the users and I do not want others snooping in my directory.
> I see nothing that is specificaly to share data.

Well call it /home/share, /home/4allgoodpeople, /home/4all, etc

--
Richard Bos
Without a home the journey is endless