Hi,

Pascal Bleser schrieb:
> I don't agree.
> If you just have the RPMs and no repository metadata, YaST must scan all
> the .rpm files in that directory and extract that metadata (RPM header
> information).
>
> createrepo does the same, but the difference is: createrepo also stores
> that data ;)
>
> Also, createrepo can use a cache, so it will only fetch RPM headers from
> files that are newer than their entry in the cache.
>
> That's more efficient, and reduces the startup time of YaST (if such a
> feature is added to YaST).

OK so far, but:

- The ZenWorks tools (rug, zen-updater) already have this feature;

- smart has this feature and it really works (fast);

- there is demand for this feature;

- YaST had something similar (something between "naked" directories and
"real" repositories) before zypp via genIS_PLAINcache, so not having it
is actually a regression;

- Not having this feature blocks Bug 167611, a showstopper (Don't say
people shouldn't install RPMs from the file manager - yes, there are
more efficient ways to install software than downloading individual
RPMs, but I know 2 people personally and many, many ones from the web
that switched away from SUSE 10.1 because of not being able to do that).

> I don't think so. createrepo is the appropriate tool to manage a repository.

Yes, it is, but why should it be the only one?

> I don't know whether zypp is currently capable of using a "naked"
> directory of RPMs as an installation source. If it doesn't, I think that
> just using createrepo is a better solution than adding more complexity
> to zypp.

How do the ZenWorks tools do it at the moment? The functionality seems
to be already implemented "somewhere", I just don't know where. It
should be moved, if possible, to a place where it can be shared between
YaST and ZenWorks, i.e. zypp.

Andreas Hanke