On Sun, Aug 06, 2006 at 03:05:00PM +0200, Andreas Hanke wrote:
> > Or have it as a left click and run `rpm -Uvh ...rpm`. If you want it done
> > by YaST, a wget to /tmp and then `yast -i /tmp/file.rpm` should sove that
> > as yast can't deal with http or ftp.
>
> /bin/rpm doesn't resolve dependencies, we are talking about installation
> of local packages with depencency resolution.

Would `yast -i /tmp/file.rpm` solve that? I asume only after a createrepo
(or something similar)

> Regarding your specific proposal of somehow integrating createrepo into
> the YaST GUI: Well, if there is no other solution going to be in place
> for 10.2, doing that might be better than not doing anything because
> installing RPMs from local directories is a desperately needed feature.
> But the approach looks strange. Actually I proposed it myself some time
> ago, but I don't like it.

I don't think there will be a complete solution ever. If a person
downloads an RPM and want to install it, it will always hapen that he did
not download all of the rpms's that he needed to. The reason for that can
be various and is unimportand for this discussion.

> As a quick hack for now, you can create a shell script like this:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> createrepo /usr/src/packages/RPMS
> /sbin/yast2 sw_single
>
> And then change /usr/share/applications/YaST2/sw_single.desktop to have
>
> Exec=/path/to/the/script/above
>
> instead of
>
> Exec=/sbin/yast2 sw_single

Thanks. Didn't think it was that easy or that file. :-)

> By the way, using a directory like /usr/src/packages/RPMS which is world
> writable by default as an installation source is not secure. Consider
> defining %_topdir to something else in your ~/.rpmmacros file.

I don't use ~/.rpmmacros. Most of the time I just download the RPMs or
make them with checkinstall. The only RPM I really make is makeSUSEdvd.

About /usr/src/packages/RPMS being writable by default. That is indeed a
much more serious issue. You can not then use that as a default. Is there
a reason that it is writabel for all?
--
Listen do you hear them drawing near in their search for the sinners?
Feeding on the power of our fear and the evil within us.