Am Wednesday 16 August 2006 18:42 schrieb Christian Boltz:
> Am Mittwoch, 16. August 2006 16:44 schrieb Andreas Jaeger:
> > Will this work?
>
> It depends on some points:
> - you should give some more background information about the topics -
>   I'll insert some questions regarding this below.
> - you should mail some days earlier the next time ;-))
>
> > The planned topics for tomorrow's meeting are:
> >
> > * D-Bus 0.91 and PolicyKit/resmgr
> >
> >   We just switched to D-Bus 0.91 and the question arises whether to
> >   continue to use resmgr or switch to PolicyKit.
>
> What are the advantages and disadvantages of each?
>
> > * Move to GNOME 2.16
> >
> >   The packagers have started already with the first packages, we want
> >   to discuss the timeframe for the move and the move of GNOME to /usr
> >   (from /opt/gnome).
>
> Hmm, what's the reason for this?

In general it is a request by the LSB/FHS group.

> BTW: Will KDE be moved also?

KDE 3 will not be moved, because this would cause compatibility and update
problems. But KDE 4 will be installed to /usr as well later.

> > * SuSEconfig removal
> >
> >   SuSEconfig is currently run after each package installation by YaST
> >   and is a huge bottleneck.  Some scripts have already been removed
> >   and we have to discuss how to move on.
>
> What's the replacement for config files that are _generated_ by
> SuSEconfig? (as in: including /etc/sysconfig/foo is impossible for the
> respective application)  -> You won't be able to do this in rpm
> postinstall scripts or alike ;-)
>
> Possible solutions:
> a) drop the sysconfig files for this applications (opinions about this
>    depend from "good idea, they are simply annoying" up to "keep
>    sysconfig, it's easy to use for basic configuration" depending on
>     whom you ask ;-)
> b) keep the parts of SuSEconfig that generate config files based
>    on /etc/sysconfig settings

c) use /etc/sysconfig direct from runlevel scripts or applications.

> OK, that were the (at least for me) unclear parts. Let's continue with
> the other ones ;-)
>
> > * update messages general/conditional (e.g. bind)
> >
> >   During update of packages they could notify users about changes via
> >   email and/or the SuSEplugger (until 10.0, this is not anymore in
> >   10.1).  Most of these are outdated and not really usefull anymore
> >   and should be removed.  The question is how to handle situations
> >   like bind where config files get rewritten and the user should be
> >   informed if this fails.
>
> IMHO: mail them to root - that's easy to implement and easy to use.
>
> Hint: KMail / Evolution should come with the local /var/spool/mail/$user
> mailbox preconfigured.

not needed, because YaST asks during installation to whom these root mails
should get forwarded.

bye
adrian

--

Adrian Schroeter
SUSE Linux Products GmbH,  Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nuernberg, Germany