Our developers are continuing to improve the package manager stack.
We'd like to release some of their changes for 10.1 now and I'd like
to ask for testers.  Please report all bugs you find in bugzilla
(http://bugzilla.novell.com, component libzypp and include in the
summary "Package Manager Update 3").  We plan to release on friday,
2006-09-01 an update to the test repository with anything that has
been found so far and plan to release the final update next week
officially.

This update contains the following new features:
* support for patch/delta RPMs in YUM sources (#168844) in YOU but not
  yet in the ZENworks tools

This update includes fixes for the following bugs:
* various performance enhancements
* 190163 - *-kmp-* dependencies match multiple kernel
  packages
* 176568 - Evaluate possible xml parser optimizations
* 195567 - 100 /var/tmp/TmpFile.xxxxx in 3 Days
* 193584 - cut-off package description in zen-updater
* 194424 - Online update setup creates unusable cron job
* 191676 - zen installer/updater cannot add an FTP YUM
  repository
* 190295 - zen-updater/zmd/rug does not install update
  stack patches first
* 193212 - zmd does not unblock transactions after
  transaction preparation failure
* 191506 - zen-updated showing updates from non-subscribed
  catalog
* 183656 - mono needed for YaST package management since
  last update

openSUSE 10.2 will see further improvments that need even better
testing.

If you like to test, please read below the details - otherwise wait
for the online update that we will release soon. Until the online
update has been installed, I advise to run as root "yast2
online_update" for patch installation.

If you have never updated the stack, then use yast to do the
following, otherwise use either ZENworks tools or YaST:

* Add the following (or one of the mirrors) as installation source:
ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/people/aj/10.1-packagemanagement-update-test

* Run an online update and install the new libzypp patch

* Test whether YOU installs patches using patch/delta RPMs.  Note
  patch and delta RPMs are smaller than full RPMs.  Therefore download
  is faster but assembly of them takes longer.

If anything looks broken, please contact myself and Stano <visnov at
suse.cz>.  Feel free to add him as <visnov at novell.com> in your
bugzilla report, so that we do not lose track of any issues with this
update.

We do not plan to add further fixes, our goal is to get this update
out and find any regressions introduced.

openSUSE 10.2 will see further improvments that need even better
testing and the ongoing progress can be tested using the openSUSE 10.2
Alpha releases - with Alpha4 next week.

Thanks for your help,
Stano and Andreas
--