Azerion wrote:
>>> Maybe, or it's just like we use YaST all the time and that is just a
>>> YaST-look. But the install is very important for users that want to
>>> checkout SUSE. A graphical install that looks slick will make people
>>> trust the software. Don't know why but it's like that.
>> Slick, is that horizontal bar that tells nothing, but time point.
>> Than troubleshooting would be easier:
>> Q:"Let me know what you see in exactly in 2 min 45 sec after beginning?"
>> A:"I see blue to 46%. The rest is white."
>>

> Maybe install should be so simple that there are no questions?

It should be, but till that happen, we need some markers that will
simplify help. Removing them will be way to shoot yourself in the foot.

>> This contradicts request for simplification as it adds another screen
>> with options.
>
> Serious, you make vague points. The one above I had to read 7 times and this
> one I don't understand neither. It DOES add a screen but default users won't
> see that screen.

You are asking for simplification, and adding options
- default or
- expert mode
that must be shown somewhere.
That is not what I see as a simpler.

>>> For the asker: Options confuses people. The will read the options but
>>> probably they don't understand everything of it. Just make them hidden.
>> Removing options is what MS did and now I'm using Linux.
>> What is your proposal where to go if SUSE removes all options?
>
> Darn, you are annoying man. Maybe have to be put in Expert?

Options are network settings, user names and passwords, and many other
things that user must provide, whether knows what they mean or not.

I just finished reinstallation of another windows box, and their attempt
to make everything simple doesn't cut good. Users that have no clue
about technical details need assistance anyway, and than "simple"
dialogs are annoyance for guy that knows what has to be done. They
should rethink who is target audience?

Give me one screen with all settings and let me finish configuration
ASAP. Nice little windows with one or two input fields are help for nobody.

>>> Don;t get you're point. This thing does not generate more pages. It just
>>> makes sure you only have to click ones instead of "select option C" -
>>> "Next". It feels more 'direct' to do it with action-buttons. Don't be
>>> afraid to mimic Vista on some point. Maybe we won't agree with their
>>> bussiness and source-model but that does not mean their graphical design
>>> is bad.
>>>
>>> Brrrrrr, ik dislike Linux-fanboys that ban everything from MS only
>>> because it is MS.
>> Wrong, Azerion.
>> It is disliked because it's a lot of eye candies without content, and
>> reference MS is just to save typing.
>
> The content does not change with this idea. You only miss the [next] button
> at
> those pages cause the acion will be there if you click the option.

The simple doesn't mean only lesser screen content.

If you have check boxes where you select all that applies, than you need
"next" button. Now if you introduce one click on screen with radio
buttons it is different behavior and new users will have to learn new
mode and make more mistakes until they learn.

For you as experienced user that is small improvement, but for novice
that sometimes learns how to use mouse during installation, it is yet
another problem.

And still:
>> I don't like to see that kind of "user friendly" here. Computers are
>> complex devices, and operating systems are not mind readers to guess
>> what I want to do with. Installation programs have to ask questions, and
>> user must be able to answer. If they are not clear what was asked the
>> only exit is good (not necessarily large) help.
>
> The question is the same....Do you read the plan?

What plan? Do you mean instructions?
Yes if I have new device in my hands.

> Now:
> - read 4 options
> - click option 1
> - click next
>
> Then:
> - read 4 options
> - click option 1

This is slowdown, but it is not important. How many times one user that
is target of simple installation will perform it? Not many, with long
periods between, and saving few clicks brings nothing, but making
procedure more complex with 2 different results of one action that we
can call "select option".

>>> True, you want to know where you ARE. You don't have to know where you
>>> HAVE BEEN. I know that I have partitionized and selected a language......
>> Hello, how to locate where I'm with single word. How many steps was
>> before and how many comes is important. BTW, just as it is in MS, just
>> different graphics.
>
> Why should you know where you located?

Because I like that way. I want to know what is done, and what is
coming. I don't want to hang in front of the screen, but when I'm back I
need status, and it means what is done and what is coming.

There was a lot of discussions against oversimplification that produces
only lesser content in one window, but then I need more clicks to get
where I want.

> Somebody said: sometimes I install 3
> PC's at the same time. Good, then you are probably not Joe Avarage so it can
> be placed in Expert.

The problem of Joe Average is that he has no clue about technicalities,
and simple screens will be problem for guy that actually is doing
installation for Joe.

>>> Lees info in the screen, as default, is good.
>> Don't turn slide show off. There is not much information ;-)
>
> Read further my friend....

:-)
I already did.

>>> YOU hate them, YOU won't watch them if you are installing openSUSE. YOU
>>> are expert and YOU know what openSUSE brings to your desktop.
>>>
>>> I do also, new users don't. And I guess we will have to focus on new
>>> users at some points. Experts won't see the slide-show after all (even if
>>> it includes release-notes)

Azerion,

I'm helping computer users to get computer running, and I have seen many
times that simple as in windows doesn't help them, but takes my time,
forcing me to look in logs (if present), instead to have status listed
right on the screen.

As stated earlier, computers are complex devices and whoever wants to
install or configure operating system and applications must understand
what is written on the screen, and fill in data that are specific for
particular location and computer use. There is no OS vendor that can do
that in advance, and there is no much space left to simplify that input.

Again, only way is online help for every step of the way, or assistance
from experienced user.

I vote for more appealing graphic solution, but not to remove content.
YaST is already very simple in case of default configuration. Going
further in name of Joe Average, will put road blocks for people that
mostly do installation for him, experienced users.

--
Regards,
Rajko.