"Alexey Eremenko" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>>I agree. As far as I understand you, the release date should remain
> the same, just the time for real BUG fixing should be bigger. Only the
> feature freeze will be earlier.
>
> Yes, release date should be normal, Dec, 2006.
>
> But Testing perioud should be longer - because both previous versions
> 10.0 and 10.1 were released with some annoying bugs left.

We have a really long testing period - since the first Alpha.  You can
test right now.  Yes, some things will change - but the early feedback
will help us.

> In 10.1 - there was one dumb decision, which I disagree with - change
> the package-dependency-resolver in the BETA stage. This was a dumb
> decision because this was very big change that has negative effect on
> the final release, for *all* the users, so 10.1 was both late and
> buggy.

I think nobody disagrees with you :-)

> I want to make this version more deeply tested.
> This means earlier major feature freeze and better bugfixing.
>
> You said about:
> - Kernel 2.6.18 (is in RC at the moment)
> This thing will be final before Dec, so I see  no problem with this one.
> - FireFox 2
> - k3b 1.0
> Here we must ask the teams when they want to release those.
> If they can assure us that they release their software before RC then
> we can include their software.
> BETA versions are exists for both products.
> We must quick-test those BETA versions.
> I have quick-tested FFox 2.0 BETA 1 and found no major
> bugs/regressions compared to FFox 1.5.

We need much more testing.

> If the BETA versions of K3b (preview 2) and FFox Beta are *more*
> stable than previous stable versions (K3b 0.12, FFox 1.5), we can add
> them safely, if they are less stable let's not add them in 10.2
> timeline at all.
>
> - Gnome 2.16 (ok, that one is released. I don't see a problem)
> This thing is final, so I see  no problem with this one.
>
> Bottom line:
> If the new software's maintainers assure that final software will be
> released before RC of openSUSE *and* current Beta versions are "stable
> enough" it is safe to include those into our BETAs.

Yes, that's what we're trying to do.  This way the upstream maintainer
gets testing of the betas as well so that they can fix bugs early.

Andreas - writing from his openSUSE 10.2 Alpha4 system
--
 Andreas Jaeger, [EMAIL PROTECTED], http://www.suse.de/~aj/
  SUSE Linux Products GmbH, Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany