Am Donnerstag, 14. September 2006 12:15 schrieb Jeff Mahoney:
> Hi all -
[...]
> The solution for replacing an aging file system isn't to switch to a
> brand new unproven file system, but rather a proven one with a clear
> upgrade path. That file system is ext3.

Nice to hear that. I'm also a ReiserFS user from the first minute (Suse 6.4)
and I never had problems with it. I also belive, that with a little support
from the community reiser4 would have a better future, but that's politics.

As far as the change from ReiserFS to Ext3 is concerned however, I agree to do
it. I used to do some stupid fs benchmarks with copying kernel source from
one partition to another and with SL 10.0 things changed. ReiserFS always
used to be faster than Ext3 for small files. And as most Linux files are
small <= 100 k, Reiser did the work better. But from 10.0 on, Ext3 has gone
faster (ReiserFS has gone slower) and it even performs now 10-20% better,
than ReiserFS. These results are from yesterday:

Copying 260 MByte from Partiton A to Partition B

        Ext3    ReiserFS        XFS
SL 10.1 53s     65s     210s
Dapper  54s     71s     200s

Probably this speed down from ReiserFS is also due to the barrier flush
option, at least I remember, that on SLES9 it made ReiserFS very slow.

As you can see, XFS is not an alternative for the root filesystem nighter, as
it handles small files very slow.
--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Marcel Hilzinger