On Monday 23 October 2006 08:19, Felix Miata wrote:
> Either Dirsch or I seem to be misunderstanding what factory ftp is and/or
> is for. Why does Dirsch seem to think I need to waste my time burning and
> installing from CD instead of just installing from FTP? Does Dirsch not

It seems to me that he's explained why he asks for the Beta1 install.  The CDs
are set milestones which he tests.  I don't think he's saying you can't do an
FTP install, but he wants it done on a milestone release.  I don't know why
he wants it done on a milestone release rather than factory, other than maybe
RPM versions will be consistent.  With Beta1 being released this week, I
don't think Stefan is out of line for asking you test with that.

> understand that even after 10.2 is released that FTP installs will need to
> succeed? Does Dirsch not understand that retests only from  DVD or CD mean
> that retests get delayed and could prevent a fix from being found and
> verified prior to release date? Is Dirsch the only Novell person capable of
> trying to recreate this bug or verify a fix? From Dirsch's comments in this

Stefan is the Video / Display expert.

> and other bugs it seems he has limited resources at his disposal. Aren't
> i81x chipsets rather common? Why has this bug been open so long?

Don't we all wish we had unlimited hardware resources?  I do, at least.  I
think that's one of the reasons the opensuse development model exists --
People like yourself have hardware the SUSE labs may not have, and thus more
problems can be identified & addressed.

My guess is that Stefan (and the other SUSE developers) all have several
issues that they're trying to address, some more critical than others.  We
don't see their queue of issues they need to get addressed each day.  I
commend them for accomplishing all that they do.

- Chad