On Sunday 26 November 2006 12:33, Frank-Michael Fischer wrote:
> Anders Johansson schrieb:
> > I think you misunderstand the manpage. It should literally be
> > journal_dev, that shouldn't be replaced with a device name.
> >
> > If you want to have the journal on hda7, the command should be
> >
> > mkfs.ext3 -b 4096 -O journal_dev /dev/hda7
>
> Interesting: now after external journalling working I found out that
> using /dev/ram0 as journal device slows writing down a bit compared to
> local journal or journal on another disk. Strange.

Using a ram disk as journal device is totally and utterly pointless. You might
as well disable journalling completely then.

The whole idea of keeping a journal is to have a log of metadata changes in
case of a crash. If this log is kept in ram, it will be gone, making it
completely useless

I can't say why it should be slower, but since it shouldn't be used at all, it
doesn't seem to matter much