The Friday 2006-12-08 at 18:53 -0000, Francis Giannaros wrote:

> On Friday 08 December 2006 17:38, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> > You call that reliable? It is no more reliable than a single http/ftp
> > download.
>
> That is annoying, but again, I'm not particularly worried about http/ftp
> unreliability. i.e. the danger is there, but if aria2 is going to ensure that
> I get a *very* fast download and still have that risk (which I consider very
> small) then that's perfect. And in fact, it *will* be the case like that for
> most people.
>
> Should we really remove http/ftp as a download option? This is getting
> ridiculous.
>
> > A single failure proves unreliability. A hundred sucesses do not prove
> > otherwise.
>
> A hundred successes proves that it's a decent method, but not that it's a
> perfect one; I wish you'd see that. Your inference from "it didn't work for
> me, others: DON'T USE IT!!!" is curious to say the least.
>
> The only thing I'd conclude is "dang, it didn't work for me", maybe try to
> find out the reasons why, I'd hardly go on a righteous crusade to wipe out
> anyone using aria2 (which is what you're doing). A wget download failed once
> for me because of ftp/http problems; idea! Let's tell everyone to never use
> wget, at all, ever.

I know why it failed.

The protocol is good, but the aria2c implementation is incomplete: it has
no segment checking, no error correction, and thus it is not a reliable
download program.

And I'm warning people to be careful with it, and not to use it as a
first choice unawares. Not because it happened to me, but because it will
happen again, regardless of being in theory a better protocol.

We all know about ftp/http. They have no integrated checking. They can
produce incorrect downloads, and do so. But metalink is promoted because
it is better and safer:

| Metalink is an Open Standard that bundles the various ways
| (FTP/HTTP/P2P) to get files into one format for easier downloads. That's
| probably already more detail than you want. It's just... Simpler.
| Faster. More Reliable. Better.

| * Downloads are verified for enhanced reliability.
| * Single Point of Failure (SPOF) like FTP or HTTP URLs. More fault
|   tolerant.

That's the promise. But the promise is not fulfilled with the available
implementation, and that's why I'm warning people not to trust it. Not
because it failed for me, but because the fact that it failed once proves
that is not as reliable as thought.

- --
Cheers,
       Carlos E. R.