Am Do 18.01.2007 10:27 schrieb Ludwig Nussel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> Well, since yast asks for the root password in 2nd stage a system
> without yast would be somewhat useless as you couldn't even log in
> after installation.

Thats why I wrote: "deinstall after installation".

So we can walk trough the complete second stage of installation and
afterwards we've perhaps no YaST at all. So perhaps we need:
- smaller dependencies between the YaST modules
- a new "YaST2-installation" which contains all relevant parts
(impossible imho)
- a new step for deinstallation unneeded modules/rpms after installation
is finished

New items for AJs list:
- Look for packages with more than x MB (lets start with 10MB) size and
see if we can downsize them by repackaging.
- Let the "base" pattern become very small and minimalistic. I agree
with Klaus that we perhaps need something like a bash - but if you say
that, there will probably be someone saying "I need that f****ing 20MB
editor named vi - or this is no minimal system to live with". So why not
put only stuff like kernel, glibc and ... in the base pattern a system
can not start with. Extend these base pattern with additional patterns
like "System administration (YaST)", usefull system tools (vi, joe,
ifconfig, ...).

=> This should result in a very small base pattern (target 1)
=> We can discuss about the additional (system) patterns for the base
system in seperate threats.

Lars