"Dominique Leuenberger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>>> Not really gnome-specific, but still serious:
>>>
>>> Bug 231258 - ZMD sucks the CPU power at boot-up and during refresh
>>
>>Use opensuse-updater instead of zmd.
>>

> Andreas,
>
> Is this the official stratement to all questions / problems regarding
> zmd / rug when confronted with problems? So this means that zmd/rug are
> going to die and no work is done on them anymore?

No, it's not the official answer.  But compared with the other
problems (ok, I could say use KDE or XFCE;-), there is another tool
that does the job as well.

Note that we're looking very closely at rug/zmd problems right now to
see what to do for the future.

> I have to say my last tests with zypper were not that well. Refreshing
> the catalog all over whenever I wanted to do something appeared to me
> even slower than having a refresh of the catalogs when I boot and then
> in a configurable interval. And after I set zmd to download 3 files in
> parallel, even the install process works a bit faster now.

With 10.3 I expect that those issues will be solved in a much better
way.  If you see shortcomings in zypper, please report bugs so that
they get fixed,

Andreas
--
 Andreas Jaeger, [EMAIL PROTECTED], http://www.suse.de/~aj/