Per Jessen schreef:
> M9. wrote:
>
>> I must say that the network, firewall and networkprinting, whether it
>> is cups or samba shared printing, is an absolute mess..  :-(
>
> I don't exactly recognise the situation.  I don't use the openSUSE
> firewall, so I can't say much about that, but the rest works just fine
> here.  We have about 20 servers, plus a large(ish) cluster and 1
> Windows workstation.

Here the situation is the opposite.
Windows is used all around, and the printer is behind a windows machine,
because this type of printer does not work with a printserver, helas,
because since 10.0, SuSE was not able to be the server anymore because
of the invalid suse firewall, or other lacking network capabilities...
(might be the solution to just use the built-in router firewall..)

>> It is impossible to find a printer over the network, even if specified
>> the exact adress, or as i noticed yesterday, the shares are not
>> consistent: it is impossible to add new shares, and old ones suddenly
>> 'do not exist'....
>>
>> (I am realy interrested in the cause of this: Overdone security, or
>> incompatible logonsytems?)
>
> Cups has never caused any such problems for me - the one challenge I had
> was getting printing from Windows to work too, and even that was
> quickly dealt with.

Yes i know, from windows it is not quite a problem.
All windows machines are able to find the printer without any problem...

>> It is realy frustrating, that if things are ok, and than with no
>> change from one moment to another, stop working..
>
> Definitely.  I just doubt if that is the case, to be perfectly honest.

That stroke me also, because i was glad it finaly worked...

>> The way I see it, a pc or laptop with suse installed on it, should be
>> pluggable into any network, able to find the shares, browse them,
>> share files which can be browsed, and above all: is able to find the
>> available printers in the network.
>
> Yep, that sounds about right.  Depending on how open things are, you
> might need to adjust authentication here or there.
>
>> Just few steps to go.....
>
> If you were expecting help from the list without describing your
> problems and without any kind of diagnostics, I think you're going to
> be disappointed.

It is not to get help from the list, and also it does not help if you
try to stick your head in the sand.
It is a fact that the network towards windows is not allright anymore,
since 10.0, 9.3 was allright.
And 'plain' samba, has never been a problem at all...most easy to set up
for hundreds of machines and servers...

> /Per Jessen, Zürich

- --

Have a nice day,

M9.               Now, is the only time that exists.

  OS:  Linux 2.6.18.2-34-default x86_64
  Huidige gebruiker:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Systeem:  openSUSE 10.2 (X86-64)
  KDE:  3.5.5 "release 45.2"