Hello,

on Dienstag, 17. April 2007, Klaus Kaempf wrote:
> bug 264685 (Get rid of package locks in package manager) asks for
> reasoning of and better concepts for locking packages in the package
> manager.
[...]
> The current solution to the above scenarious is to group packages
> based on their vendor attribute.

Can you tell us some details? My impression always was that non-SUSE
packages are always locked. Or did I miss some details?

> Packages from unknown vendors
> are auto-protected in order to prevent unwanted replacements.
>
> This is a very effective but also very limited solution.
>
> Proposals anyone ?

IMHO, it's impossible to solve the usecases you posted automatically.

Therefore, I'd like to have a dialog like

          Package updates - change vendor?

    You have installed package foo from $VENDOR, but there's a newer
    version available from $OTHER_VENDOR.
    What do you want to do?

    [Install package from $OTHER_VENDOR]   [keep package from $VENDOR]

    [x] remember decicion for this package
    [x] remember decicion for vendor $VENDOR
    [x] remember decicion for all vendors

So you would have the best of every solution:
- no automatic cross-vendor that could remove some features
- no package locks, "normal" dependency solving is possible
- the user knows what's going on - seems to be really important because
  both the "lock all" and "lock none" method seem to imply that the user
  is surprised[tm] sooner or later

Yes, it's another dialog to answer - but it's better than any automatic
decision nobody really likes.

Regards,

Christian Boltz
--