Klaus Kaempf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> bug 264685 (Get rid of package locks in package manager) asks for
> reasoning of and better concepts for locking packages in the package
> manager.

[...]

> Proposals anyone ?

I still believe third parties (all of them) must learn not to touch the
/usr, /var, etc. hierarchies.  This includes the RPM database.  That's
probably a long term goal.

For the time being, by default our tools should not update packages if
the vendors are different.  We must ask the user first or offer --force
switches to command line tools.  We also should ask whether some kind of
update or a uninstall/install procedure is wanted.

--
Karl Eichwalder
R&D / Documentation