I don't think they can't coexist. I think the user should choose what to
install, considering both desktop environments have equivalent
applications for basic desktop usage.

KDE apps in GNOME (and viceversa), even if themed, are not well
integrated and give the impression of an inconsistent environment and
user experience.

Moreover both DE apps have the bad habit to install a lot of other
things which make the menu fuller without a real reason.

I totally agree with Alberto.
Specially because kde apps doesn't fit gnome styles.

Regards.