On Tue, 08 May 2007 18:06:44 -0400
"Cristian Rodriguez R." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Stephan von Krawczynski escribió:
> >ed.
> >
> > And "5" will end up as the next dead horse?
>
> Probably, but is not time to worry about that, maybe in about 5 years or
> so.. dunno, but now **is** time to worry for PHP4 as it is going away
> this year.. software has a lifecycle and in 5 or 6 years your investment
> is already recovered and you can devote new resources into updating your
> applications, this happends all the time, and not only with PHP...( but
> is more notorius with PHP due to it's popularity)
>
> I would **love** to hear how we, openSUSE, can help you in the migration
> without intruducing PHP4 again.. do you need more documentation ? howto?
>   is the online PHP documention not enough to do so ..I mean.. geez..
> the changes are not **that** many...I have asked this very same question
> to many people and I never got a proper answer.. so I suspect people
> just want to use obsolete stuff till the end of time and cause
> unnecesarry workload on package mantainers..
>
> You can also google for the redhat or ubuntu rationale about removing
> PHP4 from their distros and you will find it is pretty similar.. so no
> need to elaborate more.

Ok, this is a must-answer situation for various reasons :-)

1) You probably misunderstood my point of view at least partially. I am not
arguing about how fine PHP4 is and that it shall live forever. I am in no way
interested in PHP<versionwhatever>. I am _only_ interested in setting up an
environment for _users_ that do what users do. If they need some (php)
application, they google until they reach a download link, click on it and
expect the webservice (and thats my part) to run with whatever they
downloaded. They have _no idea_ what php is and how it works. Explicitely they
are not interested in versions - and (which bothers me) they are _a lot_.
That means: you cannot talk to them for explaining something, because it is
impossible to explain something to hundreds of people with complete lack of
technical understanding. And of course I do not fix customer php scripts "on
the fly", because that only leads to me being responsible. Change one byte of
code and you are responsible. So, all that I expect from a current distro is
that it covers the "market of applications". You can read everywhere in this
thread that PHP4 is widespread, and up to today it is maintained. So it is
_not dead_. Even if it were dead it still works. Why vote for removing
something that is widespread, works for people and is maintained?

2) You cannot help me with a migration that is not mine. I only have to make
sure that people's scripts have a working platform to run on. And I can tell
you from our tests that less than 5% of the php-scripts running on our servers
work with PHP5. There is no way to change that. Sure they will get less, but
not significantly or even vanish over the next three years.

3) I am not really interested in what redhat or ubuntu do, if I were I would
probably use them. If opensuse only does what the others do, why does it exist
then? Shouldn't it be _better_, more _comfortable_ or cover a bigger "market" ?

4) Really, nobody expects here that you maintain a PHP4 package forever. The
last official release for both PHP4 and 5 date 03. May 2007 which is 6 days
back. The only thing I vote for is not to forget the _people_ out there. The
majority of people cannot afford always using the latest piece of car, tv-set
or software. The reasons are numerous, some don't have the money, others don't
have the technical insight - and lets not forget: most don't _want_ to be
geeks at all. They want to use software that is available on the net. And I
cannot see what's wrong with that.
Sometimes software business is really odd. Nobody would ever throw away his
car only because it is 5 years old but still running ok, even if the
manufacturer tells him to because there is a brand new one available with lots
of cool new features. Why do you even try to argue like this for software?

Regards,
Stephan von Krawczynski