Stephan von Krawczynski escribió:

 I am in no way
> interested in PHP<versionwhatever>. I am _only_ interested in setting up an
> environment for _users_ that do what users do. If they need some (php)
> application, they google until they reach a download link, click on it and
> expect the webservice (and thats my part) to run with whatever they
> downloaded.

Most of those the click and download apps already works with PHP5.

> So it is
> _not dead_.

yes it is, more or less.

> Why vote for removing
> something

this discussin came up during 10.1 development, so you are late. ;P

> that is widespread, works for people and is maintained?

Our mission is to deliver a working system, that is manageable and does
not cost gazillions of hours to developers.. developer time is a
**limited** resource.

using the same rationale..let's include 2 GNOMEs. 2apache versions..
Python 2.2 , 2,3 2.4 and 2.5 "just" for the apps that does not run in
python 2.5... or well.. 3/4 GCC versions so people can compile broken
code that does compile with GCC 4...

>that less than 5% of the php-scripts running on our servers
> work with PHP5.

Your numbers are wrong, most should work. you are doing something wrong
in your configuration then, I have worked in real life,commercial, large
PHP4->PHP5 migrations and Im sure that is wrong.

> 3) I am not really interested in what redhat or ubuntu do,

It matters in this particular situation what others have done..too se
how others are managing certain parts of their **products** (even
corporate distros are following the same approach..)

>if I were I would
> probably use them. If opensuse only does what the others do, why does it exist
> then? Shouldn't it be _better_, more _comfortable_ or cover a bigger "market"
> ?

You are not understanding. this is about product managment, we cannot
offer support for 2 years for a software that is actually having very
small manteniance, with only critical or secuirty bugs fixed (and takes
months to get a fixed version) and that will be officially abandoned ina
few months. then people like you will post rants "how bad is the
mantainance" or "bugs not getting fixed".. (not to mention that PHP4
does not work correctly on 64 bit systems either and you will find
countless strange issues..)

> 4) Really, nobody expects here that you maintain a PHP4 package forever. The
> last official release for both PHP4 and 5 date 03. May 2007 which is 6 days
> back.

yes and is very likley to be **one** of the final releases...

> Sometimes software business is really odd.

Yes it is, and unfortunately you have to deal with it. FYI, im thinking
about providing a better but stripped down PHP4 package in the
server:php repository but it will be removed from the repository the
same day it's official EOL is announced (expected on the first days of
2008 or so), keep in mind that  I will not fix stuff on it, and will
only add secuirty fixes from time to time (very low priority), in any
case dont expect that to happend soon ;)