Hi,

(No answer for the call for GPL and getting the driver in the official
kernel...yet...)

But as it is very dangerous, and also very difficullt, to use a mouse in
a car..(while driving), i tried to build the suggested driver for
'specific' kernel..

Helas, it did not build.
So i wrote to 3M about it:

[snip]
> + rm -rf /var/tmp/TWDrv-5.64-root
> + KVER=2.6.18.8-0.3-default
> + export KVER
> + cd TwDrvKit
> + make clean
> + make
> make -C /lib/modules/2.6.18.8-0.3-default/build
> SUBDIRS=/usr/src/packages/BUILD/TWDrv-5.64/TwDrvKit modules
> make[2]: *** Er is geen regel om doel 'modules' te maken.  Gestopt.
> make[1]: *** [default] Fout 2
> make: *** [makeit] Fout 2
> error: Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.81539 (%build)
>

> RPM build errors:
>    Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.81539 (%build)
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]:/usr/src/packages/SPECS> cd '/usr/src/packages/SPECS'
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]:/usr/src/packages/SPECS>
>
> is there something i can do about it?
> Despite the fact that it is not a GPL-licenced driver, i still need it,
> because it is very dangerous, and difficult, to use a mouse in a car.
>
> tia, for the trouble and attention needed to answer my question.

Possible reason, according to an associate from 3M, jgmciver:

> Good Afternoon:
> I think the kernel that you are using made devfs obsolete in favor of using
> udev. Our driver compiles with devfs, but I have attached a document with
> some suggested changes to get around this probelm
>

> Thank you, Technical Support
> 3M Touch Systems, Methuen
> 978-659-9200

Helas, the document attached, did not contain a solution for this problem..

The Kernel  indeed uses udev, if i recall correct..
But if so, is there something to be done about it, to get the driver built?

Or, as TWDrv, is indeed a proprietary driver, this can only be fixed by
its maintainer?.....

(i would realy hate it, to have to go back M$, to have a working
touchscreen..:-(

(In my reply I asked for the reason not to want a GPL for the driver,
and told him about the  miljons of people all over the world, that would
be happy, if they could use a touchscreen under linux, which would be
possible, when the driver would be in the official kernel... )

- --

Have a nice day,

M9.               Now, is the only time that exists.

  OS:  Linux 2.6.18.8-03-default x86_64
  Huidige gebruiker:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Systeem:  openSUSE 10.2 (X86-64)
  KDE:  3.5.5 "release 45.4"