On 04/08/07, Pascal Bleser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> While the above is fine and a good idea, I think the current
> implementation (as of alpha7) is not very good, for the following reasons:
> * the text is too cluttered, and I'm not sure whether using underlined
> links are clear enough to unexperienced users (yeah, everyone knows the
> web and hyperlinks, but still)
> * the text is not "action oriented", which is pretty much what everyone
> agrees on is the better alternative in terms of usability

I very much agree, I don't think I'd bother to read the greeter in its
current state. When the idea was first suggested I envisioned
something a little more like the openSUSE.org homepage [
http://bw.uwcs.co.uk/greeterIdea.png ]. Each Discover|Support|Create
section could drill down into more detailed information, or perhaps
different additional information could be displayed below depending on
what the mouse hovered over.

Clearly a balance needs to be struck between having sufficient
information available and having too much such that the user doesn't
even spot the support options etc.

> One thing that must really be kept in mind is that the "how to get help"
> links are not very interesting on first login and that the user will
> want to use them _when he needs help_.

Indeed, I think a clearly labled desktop icon is essential to return
to the greeter/support options. Many users are conditioned to close
all the clutter that opens on first start without much more than
glancing at it. Would it be possible in any way to give the user a
visual cue on closing the window that it could be re-accessed through
the icon on the desktop? Something like KDE's minimise to tray warning
perhaps.

_
Benjamin Weber