The Friday 2007-08-24 at 14:41 +0200, Andreas Jaeger wrote (in [EMAIL
PROTECTED]):

> "Carlos E. R." <> writes:
>
>> The Thursday 2007-08-23 at 22:34 +0200, Marcus Meissner wrote:
>>
>>> We now use libata for IDE drives which is a SCSI based library.
>>
>> Is there any hope of increasing the 16 partition limit some time in the
>> future?
>
> No - but we added a workaround for this.  If you have more than 16
> partitions, just give it a try!
>
>> Alternatively, will the ata support remain for ever, with maintenance?
>
> I guess for 10.4, we will remove it.
>
>> I have disks with 20 partitions. I suspect I'm not the only one using more
>> than 16 partitions.
>
> So, please test whether it our workaround makes you happy ;-)

So, I tried Beta 3.

I downloaded the dvd, which took two whole days. I boot the dvd. It asks
for my language (US), but not for the keyboard (ES), which is a nuisance.
It searches the partitions, sees there are disks with more than 16
partitions, and pops a large warning, recommending to reboot the install
with kernel option "hwprobe=-modules.pata".

So I do.

   (Typing symbols like "=-" in a non US keyboard is a nuisance. When will
   grub support different keyboard layouts?)

When I reach the point of installation (when it tries the network in order
to add online repos), it pops a window requesting "insert opensuse 10.3
CD1", "continue/cancel".

I'm using DVD! Why does it ask for the CD1?

Anyway, continue doesn't work (it asks again for CD1), and cancel aborts
the install. What now?

Andreas: is that the workaround you wanted me to test? It doesn't work at
all :-(

More. If I type "mount" in one of the consoles, it yields nothing. Not
even the root filesystem shows! Why?

It seems to want to mount the dvd in /var/adm/mount. There is nothing
there. I mount it manually, try "continue". It still doesn't see the DVD.

So I ask here for procedure.

- --
Cheers,
       Carlos E. R.