M9. wrote:

so something must have been done, evidently accidentally :-).

Indeed, but not by me, and there is no-one else that uses this pc...

what one can do accidentally is unlimited :-(. This can (just a guess) be the result of a powerdown at the worst moment

I have an hosted server (physically hosted by an university) that couldn't boot after an unwanted power down. typing "lilo" at the rescue prompt was enough to restore the boot sector.

after some enquiry, it seems that all the room was cautiously shut down for electrical maintenance, but the maintenance crew managed to power on all the system in the mean time. probably afraid of doing so, tey shut down almost immediately. On my server this was during MBR reading. I beg some sort of surge took place on the disks heads, or enywhere else, end the MBR was written...

problem: this happenned in the middle of hollidays and the room was not accessible by me, so one week off...

there is nothing to be done against such things :-(((

jdd

--
http://www.dodin.net