Saw this brilliant post from Marcus Meissner about speeding up the package
management stack (link:  http://marcusmeissner.livejournal.com/13428.html )

I tried this myself, and saw a dramatic improvement.  I've used openSUSE 10.3
since Alpha 5 or so, and I guess all the refreshes of factory and KDE4
cluttered the cache files, because when I ran the steps above it pretty much
cut my file sizes in half and Yast package management once again ran as fast
as when I initially installed 10.3.

I also posted it on suseforums.net for feedback, and it seems to be positive.

I understand that factory refreshes place a non-standard "load" on the package
manager, and that most users of 10.3 Final will not be placing as high a load
on the package manager, but if this addresses a flaw that is intrinsic to the
way zypper and rpm operate, is it worth maybe creating a standard script via
cron job that "cleans" the package manager on a regular basis (weekly,
monthly, whatever) ?

I'm really, really impressed with the improvements to package management for
10.3, and I think the vast majority of existing users will be as well.  I'm
just wondering if we can cut down potential problems in the default install,
without relying on pointing to a page in the wiki for de-cluttering the
package manager after time ?

Maybe I'm missing something and this won't wind up being an issue at all, but
my own experience and the feedback I've received indicates otherwise.  Is
this something that will already happen, or is it worth opening a feature
request for?

Cheers,
KV