Duncan Mac-Vicar Prett wrote:
> On Friday 28 September 2007 04:35:22 Kevin Valko wrote:
>> I'm really, really impressed with the improvements to package management
>> for 10.3, and I think the vast majority of existing users will be as well.
>> I'm just wondering if we can cut down potential problems in the default
>> install, without relying on pointing to a page in the wiki for
>> de-cluttering the package manager after time ?
>
> Nice to see you like the improvements!
>
> We are already discussing how to vacuum the zypp database, and also the rpm
> database fragmentation number found by Marcus are interesting.
>
> We will work on it and try to release an online update for 10.3, at least for
> the zypp part. For rpm we will see.
>
> The biggest "?" is about operation time. This cleanup also takes lot of time
> and is cpu and IO intensive. The right moment to do it is after heavy
> database writting, that is refresh. Cron job also was suggested as an idea.
> But  consideer the cron job too random about "when" to do it, and also
> problematic f it start working when you are using YaST or the applet is
> checking for updates (it is safe, but you will get a lock message).
> Our current idea is to do it on refresh but using a time threshold. And
> making
> it configurable of course.
>
> More ideas are welcome.

You could just ask whenever the YaST package manage UI comes up. Run some metric
that checks the size and/or condition of the zypper database and if it is "too
big", put up a dialog box that says "The Package Database needs to be optimize.
Do it now? Warning - this could take some time to complete."

--
Jonathan Arnold     (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])
Linux Brain Dump - Linux Notes, HOWTOs and Tutorials:

Daemon Dancing in the Dark, an Open OS weblog:
    http://freebsd.amazingdev.com/blog/