On Thursday 04 October 2007 08:33:19 pm Igor Jagec wrote:
> On Čet, 2007-10-04 at 19:08 -0500, Rajko M. wrote:
> > On Thursday 04 October 2007 06:35:28 pm Igor Jagec wrote:
> > > BTW what is the difference between 'zypper update' and 'zypper update
> > > -t package?
> >
> > 'zypper update' == 'zypper update -t patch'
>
> Meaning, the patch option pulls delta rpms? I saw some .delta.rpm
> and .patch.rpm packages in Zypper's output so I'm asking :)

The .delta.rpm is a way to deliver patches.
When is used delta vs. rpm that can answer some of YaST/zypper guys.

This is from 'man zypper':
------------------------------
   Package Management Commands
       zypper  works with several types of resource objects, called
       resolvables.  A resolvable is a package, patch, pattern,
       language, or a product.

       package  - all RPM packages including patch and delta packages
       patch    - update of the packages, it can include special scripts and
                  messages
       pattern  - group of packages
       language - group of packages with language support
       product  - group of packages, which are necessary to install a product
------------------------------

> If so, that's great because, as I figured, that consumes less
> bandwidth :)
>
> > > Which one of these 2 commands is used by GNOME/KDE update
> > > applet?
> >
> > Whatever is for patches :-)
>
> I experienced some package removal while I was playing with that applet
> on Factory, so I was just asking :)

Removal will happen if package is listed for removal in rpm, but how it lands
in that list can answer some of guys that actually do packaging.

--
Regards,
Rajko.