On Thursday 04 October 2007 12:01:47 am Cristian Rodriguez wrote:
> that is called "transaction", I suspect that there is a good reason why
> it is not implemented the way you suggest.

Ok, but what is the good reason?  I agree that Smart is not a good model to
follow due to the weaknesses in package resolution (particularly for
multi-arch), but what is wrong with downloading all packages prior to
installing?

Frankly, in my previous experiences with factory testing over the last few
versions, I have had a couple of cases where Yast crapped out during and
update-all, being unable to install certain packages, and I wound up with a
partially broken system after that required some sleeve-rolling-up to
resolve.  Nothing I would have opened a ticket for, since mirror
synchronicity is sometimes a crapshoot, but frustrating none the less since
it could have been avoided.

I don't buy the disk space argument, that is easy enough to pre-determine
before an upgrade, so I'm not sure why Yast doesn't operate this way.
Really, it seems to make sense... Download all the packages into a cache, and
then install them.  That way if the download is interrupted (or mirrors are
out of synch), the download can be resumed after, and the package upgrades
won't happen until all of the packages are actually available locally.

Just my 2c...

Cheers,
KV