On Friday 11 January 2008, Martin Schlander wrote:
> Den Friday 11 January 2008 16:55:28 skrev peter nikolic:
> > > This theme has been discussed again and again.. and again. Complain to
> > > Sun Microsystems! .. or accept that "64-bit is only for servers".. as
> > > Adobe, MS and Sun seem to have agreed upon..
> >
> > Errrrrrrrrrrr  have you tried buying an 32 bit CPU recently   ?   think
> > you may be in for a shock
>
> Most x86_64 CPUs support 32-bit very well you know. Don't all these new
> shiny 64-bit boxes come with 32-bit MS Vista? That should be an indication
> of how MS and PC-vendors feel about 64-bit on the desktop.
>
> I run 64-bit openSUSE myself on my primary box and have for some time. So
> I'm not agitating against doing that. I'm just slightly annoyed that people
> act all surprised and complain when they run into some problems with
> proprietary software I guess. Don't understand how anyone remotely involved
> can still be surprised that these issues exist.
>
> Maybe I was a bit harsh though, I'll try to keep my bitterness off the
> list. ---------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes i know that  but that was not what i said   yes you can run 32 bit on 64
bit systems but WHY should we ? ,  64 bit is now the defacto CPU supplied by
almost every motherboard maker going apart from the ultra low energy types
( ITA   ect )   .

I know we also keep getting the reply  blame Sun and Co  for the lack of 64
bit support  in browsers for things like java   why ?   .

It strikes me that maybe just maybe we are not biledgerent (SP) enough and
maybe we need to shout somewhat louder than we are   just my thoughts  but
maybe a direction we should look at heading ..

Pete .

--
SuSE Linux 10.3-Alpha3. (Linux is like a wigwam - no Gates, no Windows, and an
Apache inside.)