Hello,

On Feb 29 00:36 Gerald Pfeifer wrote (excerpt):
On Tue, 28 Feb 2012, Bryen M Yunashko wrote:

As for printers...  I see the issue being installation of drivers.
If we're setting up a printer which has a driver already installed
on the machine, then no, password should not be required like that.

Great, we agree on that.

Of course it is not as easy as you think.

Your current point of view "printer setup on my own machine"
does not apply in any case.

In corporate environments where an admin maintains the workstations
it is usually not wanted that users can change how workstations print
because this can cause printing security issues in the whole network,
see "print job phishing" at
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:CUPS_and_SANE_Firewall_settings

But if setting up the printer means downloading the driver... then
it should be treated the same way as any other software installation
which requires system authentication.

And I can agree on that.  Installation of new software, not yet on
the systems or authorized somehow (for example, Linus could have
put all acceptable drivers somewhere on the machine for the system
to pick up in case of need) is a different beast.

For you current use case "printer setup on my own machine"
why shold the user not also install a driver on his own machine?

More and more printers require a driver from the manufacturer.
In particular low-level printers which are of major interest
for the use case "printer setup on my own machine".

Of course long ago I had aready filed a matching FATE request
https://features.opensuse.org/307745
but nobody - in particular nobody of the management - cares.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner