Hi all,

 I've been looking for this for quite some time as I might be interested
in exploring something new... Here's a bit about the idea:

 A small LiveCD / USB enabled distro based on opensuse 11.3 with GNOME;
 To be explored in a marketing driven way;
 Delievering what people might want: eye candy, non-standard packages,
integrated Environment, troublesome codecs, etc;
 Keeping up to date with community submitted materials;
 Can be enabled on any traditional openSUSE platform;

 In other words, a selection of non-standard applications (ex: nautilus
elementary, notify osd, etc)... The best Ubuntu offers with some patches
that annoyed and were forbiden by Shuttleworth to increase functionality
and other pieces of software that are popular amongst users) with a
powerful meta-theme.

 I plan to keep this with a gnome-panel vintage look and as a possible
alternative to gnome-shell default enabled stuff.

 This is not to be faced as a distro, but instead as:
 1. an artwork pack for GNOME / opensuse 11.3;
 2. project branding only covers artwork;
 3. marketing experiment;
 4. No server components, this is to be only for End Users performing
the most normal Desktop tasks, like communication or design development.
 5. A different experience from everyone else on the game;

 In a very raw way that's it...

 My naming for this... needs to be flashy and hook'able... "MERC PACK"

 According to Dictionary.com:

 Mercenary:
 Adjective: 1. Working or acting merely for money or __other reward__,
venal;
               hired to serve in a foreign army, guerrilla organization,
etc.

 Noun: 3. A Professional soldier hired to serve in a foreign army.
       4. any hireling.

 That's the metaphore for the name, pretty much enlightening, except we
aren't paying no one and everything will be based distribution wise and
package wise on guerrilla marketing aimed directly to end users and
based on end user demands.
  In another we want to 'hire' mercs... people who we don't care if they
use whatever they use (hopefully our own merc stuff in the future) and
build a showcase for their artwork and engineering. A completly
scratched Desktop Environment based on GNOME that dares to go where
distro's don't want to touch on their default installations.

 I've been looking into SUSE Studio for this... I have my own reasons
not to do this on Fedora, and I recon openSUSE is a KDE distro, but it
offers good tools that make this easier for a small group of people.

So far the group for this is small being:

 - Samuel Cruz > Developer @ Portugal Telecom
 - Flavio Oliveira > Advertisement Company CEO and Designer/Artist
 - Bruno Oliveira > Marketing Manager
 - Nelson Marques > Marketing Junior Officer @ _some bank_
 - Paulo Figueiredo > Communication & Design graduate
 - Jean Figueiredo > Programmer / Software Engineer @ _some bank_

 We are planning to start "merc pack" using SUSE Studio based on
openSUSE 11.3 and evolving alongside with it.

 I'm not sure on how openSUSE wants to keep their image on this or
eventually your concerns... but feel free to launch your questions and
how you want your Trademarks represented as we are not going to announce
ourselfs as a distro or anything in that scope.

  Questions are welcome as we are still building visual image,
guidelines for logos (and we might trademark the logos and brand). We
plan to have all the logistical and marketing stuff ready soon, and we
might recruit people to help on Portuguese translations to openSUSE as
we want to offer the best European Portuguese available as we are
planning to do local work about this...

 I know this is just a junk non-organized email... but it will take form
and in this stage it's best for us to check if it's reliable to do it
using this platform and that it brings no coalitions with openSUSE, in
fact it would awesome to know what openSUSE community members think
about it...

nelson