On Sun, 2010-08-22 at 19:28 +0200, Jos Poortvliet wrote:
> On Tuesday 17 August 2010 20:38:56 Nelson Marques wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> >  I've been looking for this for quite some time as I might be interested
> > in exploring something new... Here's a bit about the idea:
> <snip>
> >  I know this is just a junk non-organized email... but it will take form
> > and in this stage it's best for us to check if it's reliable to do it
> > using this platform and that it brings no coalitions with openSUSE, in
> > fact it would awesome to know what openSUSE community members think
> > about it...
>
> It's a cool idea and wouldn't be hard to do with the buildservice and
> SUSEStudio. openSUSE ain't a KDE distro, btw, it happens to be what the
> majority of users (probably) use but otherwise it's no more KDE than it is
> Firefox (again something the majority uses) or similar stuff.
>
> Again, pretty cool project, please go ahead with it. When it comes to
> trademarks, don't worry too much about that yet - just create it and call it
> openSUSE based, should be good enough for now ;-)
>
> When it comes to marketing, I'd say you should be sure to send announcements
> to news.opensuse.org!
>
> BTW don't take to many plans like these on your plate, I mean, you also wrote
> about doing these openSUSE courses, unless you have about 60 hours a week to
> spend on this stuff or a team of people, you won't have time for both - if
> you want to do it right :D

I've already blogged about and my concerns...

Merc and Merc Retro are going to see life one of this days.

Merc Retro will be a minimalistic install (only the very own required
stuff) and will feature a set of emulators only (ex: Atari, Capcom
System 16, Sega Genesis/Master System, SNES, Amiga). Not providing
sensible stuff like ROMS or BIOS dumps. Just the emulators. Something
people can use on old 256/512Mb's usb sticks.

Merc will be a 'tool kit' utility used for tasks... network monitoring,
filesystem recovery, MBR recovery... any utilities that might be
interesting to have around whenever needed without requiring to install
the full load.

I will try to build some enthusiasm around artwork around this and will
try to make out of it a artwork showcase for themes and other stuff.

That's pretty much the plan :)

nm